Truck weighing scales have been in use for very many years with both domestic and commercial applications. Over the years, conventional truck scales have undergone tremendous transformations due to the changes in technology. However, despite all the transformations there are still two general categories of truck scales which are static truck scales and portable truck scales.
Static Truck Scales
Just like the name suggests, static truck scales are immobile (often fixed weighbridge-style) truck scales used to measure the full weight of a truck (and the truck’s load after proper calibration.) Static truck scales are often older and more conventional scales utilized in this application, and they have been in use for more than a century. Once this scale in is installed at a particular point, it cannot be easily relocated to another place unless with the help of an expert in this sectors. They are typically larger and bulkier in size than portable truck scales.
Advantages of Static Truck Scales
- These scales are more durable than the portable scale. Once the scales are assembled, they will only require regular maintenance and servicing. With proper maintenance, they can be able to serve for very many years.
- They have a higher load capacity. Although modern portable scales also have a high load capacity most static scales can be used to measure heavier trucks more accurately.
- These scales are cheaper to maintain. Since the scale will not be moved on a regular basis, it will be harder for it to suffer any damages. This in turn helps to minimize the overall cost of repair and maintenance.
Disadvantages of Static Truck Scales
- Static truck scales are expensive to buy and install compared to portable scales.
- Most static scales do not utilize modern technologies making them inconvenient to use and somewhat outdated.
- Due to their static nature, they have a longer downtime during repairs and maintenance. Unlike portable truck scales, it usually takes more time to dismantle these scales for repairs or maintenance. This is particularly the case with heavy-duty weighbridge truck scales.
Portable Truck Scales
Often known as axle scales, portable truck scales are mobile scales that can be easily dismantled, transported, and reassembled for use at a different place. They are designed for use on various types of surfaces including dirt while still maintaining a high degree of accuracy. These type of truck axle scales were first used in the 1920’s, and their popularity has increased steadily over the years. The portable truck scales of today are now more popular than the static scales, and the advantages below explain why.
Advantages of Portable Truck Scales
- Mobility is the biggest advantage behind portable scales to weigh trucks as it is possible to use them in place or another within a very short period.
- These scales are also more convenient than static scales. Convenience is brought out by the fact that you take the scale where you want it to be, and so you do not have to bring the heavy truck to it which might not always be possible.
- Most portable truck scales are fitted with the latest technologies to make sure that one gets more accurate results.
- These scales are cheaper to buy than static scales. Nowadays, there are many companies manufacturing portable scales to weigh trucks. Add this to their simplicity and you get an affordable scale.
Disadvantages of Portable Truck Scales
- They are not very durable due to the regular dismantling and assembling that leads to a depreciation in quality.
- These scales are normally very tedious to operate due to the dismantling and assembly involved. One may also be required to hire additional manpower for this which is an added expense.
The nice thing about portable truck scales is that many suppliers offer short-term lease options. With portable truck scales for rent, you don’t have to invest in a unit and can try the weigh scale system before you buy it.
As the two truck scales have their pros and cons the choice of scale to use will be influenced by factors like the application, the duration of use and also personal preferences. Regardless of what scale you choose to use you will still get the accuracy and service that you desire provided you select a scale from a reputable manufacturer.