Keeping your computer healthy is very important if you want to sustain your computer’s life for years to come. Safe browsing and computer use is also crucial to ensure the maximum security possible.
In this blog post, we share basic computer usage and browsing tips to minimize viruses and threats. This can help you avoid the expense of professional virus removal services, or worse – having to replace your computer.
Tips to Protect Your Computer from Viruses and Malware
- Install an Antivirus Program – Antivirus programs search your computer for viruses trying to get into your operating systems, emails, or files. Installing an antivirus program will help defend your computer against any viruses that may appear. Viruses are always changing, just like in the human body, so it is recommended that you set your antivirus program to update automatically to keep it up to date.
- Don’t open emails with attachments without knowing whom it’s from – Many viruses are hidden within cleverly sent emails that contain attachments and when you open them, the virus immediately downloads. It’s best not to open the unknown email. Many of them are easy to spot.
- Keep computer updated – Microsoft releases security updates that can help keep your computer protected. It helps to keep the automatic update button on so you computer is updated right when it comes out.
- Use a firewall – Firewalls alert you to various virus and worm infection attempts. It can also block those things from downloading onto your computer.
- Use browsers protection settings – Many websites can gain access to your private information through your browser. You can set your browsers private settings to help protect your computer.
- Use a pop-up blocker – Pop-ups are small windows that appear at the top of the browser of the website you’re viewing. Most of the time they are just ads from the website owner. However, sometimes they contain viruses. A pop-up blocker will prevent that.
- Turn on User Account Control (UAC) – UAC notifies you of any administration level changes that are going to be made to the computer. These changes have to be given permission from you before going forward. UAC helps to keep viruses from making unwanted changes.
Why is Antivirus Software Important?
One obvious reason is to prevent viruses. They provide protection from not only viruses but also spyware, identity theft, and spam. Hackers are creating viruses that are trickier and trickier to identify and once they are on your computer it becomes slower and more susceptible to losing important documents.
Spyware is a type of software that is used to spy on you through your computer. Once it is installed onto your computer you become more vulnerable to identity theft. This includes access to social security numbers, passwords, credit card info, and financial data. Antivirus software can help stop hackers from making purchases with your credit cards or banking information that can leave a negative mark on your record.
Spam gets so frustrating when you continuously get overloaded with emails and ads that you never signed up for in the first place. What many people do not know is that if you have no idea where the unwanted emails are coming from there is most likely a virus causing them.
Some viruses claim to be antivirus software when they are really just the virus themselves. Here is a list of trusted programs that will keep your computer safe.